Washington DC (Washington, District of Columbia, DC, Washington, The District)
- Location: Northeastern United States
- Language(s): English, Spanish, French, Italian
- Total Area: 177 sq km
- Population: 602,464
- Currency: United States Dollar
- Curious Alcohol Fact: Drinks from all parts of the globe are available in the District.
- Most Popular Drink(s): Wines, beers, juices
Washington DC Travel Video
Video credits: Expedia
With a motto that proclaims justice for all people, the District of Columbia is well-known across the globe as the capital of the United States. A federal district named for the first president of the country, George Washington, the District is unique in a number of ways. For example, it is not part of any of the other fifty states, meaning that it is not under the jurisdiction of any of the other states. As a matter of fact, the District is far from Washington State and the two should not be confused together. Being the center of government and administration, the District of Washington is the location for many consulates, embassies, federal establishments and many more.
One interesting thing that one will instantly notice with the demographics of the District is the relatively high number of citizens with African roots. Apart from these, others include the Hispanics, Europeans, Asians and American Indians. The main religion is Christianity although there are other various faiths. The President of the United States is one of the citizens residing in the District.
Eating and Drinking in Washington DC
When it comes to eating and drinking in the District, one thing that one will always notice is that there are various meals and dishes that are available and that can be seen as a reflection of the multicultural nature of the American society. From typical local dishes to exotic meals from all over the globe, the District is the place to be.
Places to Visit in Washington DC
When it comes to sites of tourist attraction, there are very few places that can beat this District. Washington offers the visitors and tourists some of the most amazing scenery and locations on the continent. For many of the vacationers, the following are places that must always feature on the itinerary:
- The White House
- The Smithsonian Institution
- The Library of Congress (the largest in the world)
- The United States Supreme Court Building
- Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial
- National Zoo
- National Gallery of Art
- National Geographic Society Museum
- Washington Monument
- National Mall
- The Reflecting Pool
Interesting Facts about Washington DC
- Washington DC doubles as a federal district and the capital of the most powerful nation on earth.
- No senator represents the District in the Congress.
- Washington DC is headed by a mayor.
- One of the most famous hydrographic features in North America, the Potomac River flows in the District.
- The original layout and plan of the District was done by a French architect.
- In Washington DC alone, there are almost 180 foreign embassies and are located in an area fondly but aptly referred to as the Embassy Row.
- Some of the most impressive structures in the world are located in the District and these include the White House, the Thomas Jefferson Memorial, United States Capitol and the Lincoln Memorial.
- The percentage of African Americans in Washington DC is one of the highest in the country.
Story By World By Shotglass
©2021 World By Shotglass. All Rights Reserved
Special thanks to our contributors:
Adebayo Ahmed Adebola (Ilorin, Nigeria).