Palestine (State of Palestine, Dawlat Filastin)
- Location: Western Asia
- Capital: Jerusalem
- Language(s): Arabic
- Population: 5,159,076
- Total Area: 6,020 sq km
- Currency: Egyptian pound, Israeli new shekel, Jordanian dinar
- Curious Alcohol Fact: Even though Palestine is a predominantly-Muslim nation, there is still a very popular liquor and it is known as Arak. It is very well-known drink among the Palestinian Christians and it is flavored with anise mixed with water and it is known for its distinct whitish color.
- Annual Average Liquor Consumption Per Capita: Not available
- Most Popular Drink(s): Tea, Arabic coffee
The political entity is also called the State of Palestine and it is seen by the United Nations and a host of other jurisdictions to be a de jure sovereign state. The State of Palestine is laying claim to the West Bank which lies between the borders of Jordan and Israel and also the Gaza Strip which is on the border with Egypt and Israel.
The designated capital of Palestine is Jerusalem and the administrative center is based in Ramallah even though political controversies remain.
Palestine Travel Video
Video credits: LivingBobby
Even with all the turmoil that the region has seen, Palestine has seen a steady rise in its population and from the over four million people in 2013, it has ballooned to over six million. Over 90 percent of the residents in the Palestinian territories are Muslims and there is a small minority of Christians, Samaritans and Druze.
Eating in Palestine
The cuisine in Palestine is a blend of not just local flavors of the Palestinian people but also from Turkey, Jordan, Syria and even Lebanon. The food you will eat will depend on the part of Palestine you are. For example, if you find yourself in the West Bank, you can expect to enjoy musakhan which is made up of roasted chicken with bread complete with sumac, pine nuts, allspice, sweet onions and other spices.
Then there is the mansaf which is usually cooked as huge pieces of lab or lamb leg placed on bread which is then cooked with rice. Then there are other several rice-based dishes like maqluba, quzi and ruz ma Lahma.
Drinking in Palestine
You can expect to enjoy a wide variety of soft drinks and all kinds of beverages like tea and coffee whenever you are in Palestine. You are going to notice that tea and coffee are very famous drinks all over the nation. The good thing is that you have a variety of coffee and tea to choose and select from.
Places to Visit
There are several historic places of touristic significance in Palestine and these include:
- East Jerusalem sites like Mount of Olives, Old City and Kidron Valley
Sports in Palestine
The most well-known sport in Palestine is football and it is also noteworthy to state that rugby is also another well-known sport. Palestine has a national football team and it represents the state at various international engagements.
Interesting Facts About Palestine
- There is a heavy consumption of chili pepper in the state.
- 138 members of the United Nations recognize the State of Palestine.
- The Palestine Liberation Organization represents the Palestinian state in foreign relations.
Story By World By Shotglass
©2021 World By Shotglass. All Rights Reserved
Special thanks to our contributors:
Adebayo Ahmed Adebola (Ilorin, Nigeria).