(Estado Libre Asociado de Puerto Rico, Commonwealth of Puerto Rico)
Puerto Rico Map
- Location: Northeastern Caribbean Sea
- Capital: San Juan
- Language(s): English, Spanish
- Total Area: 9,104 sq km
- Population: 3,745,574
- Currency: United States Dollar
- Curious Alcohol Fact: Alcoholic drinks and fruit juices are widely consumed.
- Annual Average Liquor Consumption Per Capita: 5.75 liters
- Most Popular Drink(s): Fresh fruit juices, wines
There is actually no way one will describe Puerto Rico without highlighting its special status. The island is a commonwealth in free association with the United States and it has a self-governing status. Other islands in the Greater Antilles include Cuba, Jamaica and Hispaniola. Located in the eastern portion of the Greater Antilles (in the West Indies), Puerto Rico lies to the southeast of the American state of Florida. It is also situated to the east of the Dominican Republic and to the west of the Virgin Islands (shared by the United States and the United Kingdom). Although Puerto Rico is often seen as one large island, there are some other smaller islands under the Puerto Rican jurisdiction. These include Mona Island, Culebra and Culebra. San Juan is the capital city and also the principal port. As can be gleaned from the name, Puerto Rico was once colonized by Spain but later handed over to the United States.
The people of Puerto Rico are of varied backgrounds. There are indigenous Caribbean tribes, descendants of the Spanish colonists and the slaves shipped from Africa. Others include Americans and those from other parts of Europe. There is also a small population of those from Asian nations especially China. Like many of the other islands with a Spanish history, Roman Catholics are predominant. With Christianity being the major religion in Puerto Rico, there are some other denominations apart from the Roman Catholics and these include the Presbyterians, Protestants and Methodists. Spiritism, Judaism and Santería are some of the other faiths followed by the Puerto Ricans.
I have always said it and I will repeat it here: Puerto Rico is the best place on earth for the most exotic dishes. The meals combined flavors from the Caribbean, Africa and Europe. In all my travels, I am yet to visit a place of culinary delight like Puerto Rico. To start with, try out roasted guinea hen and the juice of jobo, a delightfully tasty orange fruit. Mofongo is also for you and is made with plantains, cassava, seasonings and chicken. These are just very few of some of the delights awaiting you in Puerto Rico.
Staying in Puerto Rico can be said to be tantamount to living on the edge of paradise. It is a really fantastic place to enjoy your vacation. Various sports and recreational activities on the island will keep you vibrant. For those who love fishing and swimming, this is the place to be and the same goes for those in love with equestrian games, golf, basketball, tennis, volleyball, basketball and baseball. Boxing is also a major sport in Puerto Rico.
- From space, the island assumes the shape of a loaf of bread.
- The name ‘Puerto Rico’ is Spanish for ‘rich port’.
- Although closely related to the United States, Spanish is the main language.
- Puerto Rico is also known as the Island of Enchantment (and that is quite true).
- There have been attempts to make Puerto Rico the 51st state of the United States although that has not been successful so far.
- The original inhabitants of the area are called Taino Indians.
- Puerto Rico is represented in the United States Congress by a delegate who does not have voting powers.
Story By World By Shotglass
©2013 World By Shotglass. All Rights Reserved
Special thanks to our contributors:
Adebayo Ahmed Adebola (Ilorin, Nigeria)