Islamic Republic of Iran
جمهوری اسلامی ایران
Jomhuri-ye Eslāmi-ye Irān
(please note: no merchandise sold from this site originated in Iran nor it was imported from Iran)
- Location: Central & Western Asia
- Capital: Tehran
- Language(s): Persian
- Population: 75,345,563
- Total Area: 1,648,195 sq km
- Currency: Rial
- Curious Alcohol Fact: The most popular drink in Iran is not an alcohol but a yoghurt-like drink called doug.
- Annual Average Liquor Consumption Per Capita: 1.01 liters
- Most Popular Drink(s): Doug (type of yoghurt), tea
Doug is a kind of yoghurt that is normally served with most meals in the country. This is the most popular drink in the country. There is also a special juice made from watermelon and is known as ab endevaneh. From my experience, I saw that most of the common drinks in Iran were either made from fruits or vegetables. If you are a fan of booze, Iran is not the place for you.
Being home to some of the oldest civilizations in the world, Iran offers you some of the most spectacular sights. You have the unique opportunity of visiting the ruins of long-gone empires like the Achmaenid Empire, the Safavid dynasty and the Sassanid Empire. There are also many shrines and holy cities that you can check out. And never forget to buy those beautiful Persian rugs.
Although many will like to see Iran a hard-line country ruled by conservative theologians, you will be surprised with the level of sports development in the country. Iran has one of the most impressive football teams on the planet, and other sports like skiing and mountain climbing are very popular, among the locals and tourists alike.
- Iran was formerly called Persia.
- In 1979, Iranians toppled their King (called Shah) in a revolution.
- The country is sometimes referred to as the Land of the Aryans.
- There are many shrines and mosques all over the country.
- Iran is the largest and most powerful Shia nation on earth.
Story By World By Shotglass
Special Thanks To Ahmed Adebayo (Ilorin, Nigeria) for editing.
©2015 World By Shotglass. All Rights Reserved
Gallery of Shot Glasses