REPUBLIC OF COSTA RICA
(Costa Rica, República de Costa Rica)
- Location: Central America
- Capital: San José
- Language(s): Spanish, Bribri
- Population: 4,612,564
- Total Area: 51,100 sq km
- Currency: Costa Rican colón
- Curious Alcohol Fact: Sugarcane is used in making local beers.
- Annual Average Liquor Consumption Per Capita: 5.55 liters
- Most Popular Drink(s): Beers, coffee, guaro
Also called the Republic of Costa Rica, the nation is located in Central America. To the south of the country lies Panama, Nicaragua is to the north while the western and southern fronts are bounded by the Pacific Ocean. The Caribbean Sea lies to the east. The geography of Costa Rica is so interesting that at its tiniest point between the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea, the land measures just a little over 70 miles. Although one of the smallest countries in the region, Costa Rica boasts of having the highest rate of literacy, highest standard of living and even one of the highest life expectancies of all the nations in Central America. Costa Rica is also a nation to be envied as it has one of the most stable governments in the Americas, a place where many countries are still recovering from the effects of long military dictatorships. San José is the capital city and is situated in the central highlands.
One interesting thing with the demographics of Costa Rica is that it is home to the largest Spanish-speaking population (by percentage) in Central America. As noticed in many other nations in the Americas, there is a relatively tiny population of indigenous Indian tribes while those of mixed heritage form the other major ethnic group. The latter are called mestizos. Indigenous Indian tribes include the Bribri, Cabécar, Térraba and the Boruca. Many of the citizens are into agriculture, manufacturing (especially of computer chips) and tourism. Being a particular beautiful and pristine country, the tourism industry is really thriving and booming. An overwhelming proportion of the citizens are Christians with the Roman Catholic Church being the most important denomination.
Eating and Drinking in Costa Rica
As far as food is the topic, Costa Rica is one of the finest destinations in the world. You will be thoroughly impressed with the vast array of meals available. Made mainly with fruits, food crops and vegetables, Costa Rican meals are fresh and natural. The most popular dish is called gallo pinto and is made with white rice, black beans, plantains and egg (colorful dish, you can say). There is also the casado which is also made with rice and beans, chicken and spices can also be added. For the parched throat, there are various beverages and drinks such as coffee, guaro and fresh fruit juice.
Interesting Facts About Costa Rica
- Costa Rica simply means ‘Rich Coast’.
- Costa Rica has no army, navy or airforce!
- Costa Rica is one of the most impressive countries in the world as far as biodiversity is concerned.
- The nation is one of the most literate societies on the planet.
- The country was named by Christopher Columbus.
- Costa Rica has been ranked the most environment-friendly nation on earth.
- The largest Spanish population in Central America by percentage is also found in Costa Rica.
- Bananas and coffee are some of the most important agricultural products in the country.
Story By World By Shotglass
©2013 World By Shotglass. All Rights Reserved
Special thanks to our contributors:
Adebayo Ahmed Adebola (Ilorin, Nigeria).