- Location: Western Canada
- Capital: Edmonton
- Language(s): English
- Population: 3,743,575
- Total Area: 661,848 sq km
- Curious Alcohol Fact: You need to be 18 years and above before you can drink.
- Most Popular Drink(s): Maple syrup, beers and wines
- What You Must Do in Alberta: You must hunt in the wilderness, especially with the locals! Nothing is more interesting!
Named after one of the children of Queen Victoria, Alberta is the one of the most populous provinces in Canada. To the north of the province are the Northern Territories while there is British Columbia to the west. On the east is the province of Saskatchewan while the United States lies along the southern border. The majestic city of Edmonton is the capital of the province, and is one of the most enticing cities in the country. The climate of Alberta is often described as continental and that implies cold and dry winters. But not to worry, winters in Alberta are usually sunny. On the other hand, summers are warm and wet, and you will find them enjoyable. Interestingly, Alberta is landlocked.
Alberta is one of the most culturally diverse provinces in the country, and even though majority of the Albertans are of British and French heritage, you will find residents from China, Ukraine, Philippines, Pakistan, Italy, Hungarian, Portugal, the Netherlands, Vietnam, Germany, Denmark, Norway, Finland and Sweden. While enjoying my vacation in Alberta, I could not but draw a similarity with New York City, especially with the diversity of the peoples. You will also find the North American Indians very charming and hospitable. The predominant religion in the province is Christianity but there is a considerable number of Muslims, Sikhs, Jews and Hindus.
Food in Alberta
There is one thing I will never forget about Alberta, and that is the wonderful cuisine of the province. You need to experience Albertan meals to understand this. As a result of the high immigration rate and the multicultural nature of the province, you get to enjoy foods from various parts of the globe. If you attend one of the many Ukrainian food tours, you will marvel at the perogies and cabbage rolls. If you are a lover of American foods, you will find many franchise restaurants in Alberta and that means you will never miss your delicious burgers. In the southern parts of the province, you can taste the enjoyable fried pork dumplings of the Chinese called wor tips. When it comes to delightful dishes, I doff my hat for Alberta.
Drinks in Alberta
Just as you have more than enough to eat, drinks are more than sufficient in Alberta. However, the law states that you must be 18 years and above before you can drink in Alberta. Beers and wines from Canada and other parts of the continent are available for your enjoyment and refreshment. You will do well to try out a glass of ice wine. It is simply irresistible.
In Alberta, there are many nice places that you can visit. Many tourists ensure that they visit amazing places like the Elk Island National Park, Banff National Park and the famous Calgary Stampede. If you are interested in checking out some of the nicest ski resorts in North America, simply visit the impressive Sunshine Village.
Interesting Facts About Alberta
• Alberta has more sunshine than any other province in the country.
• The oldest mosque in the country is located in Alberta.
• Alberta produces more honey than other provinces in the country.
• The government of Alberta is headed by the Queen of England.
- Alberta is one of the two provinces in the country to be landlocked.
- Alberta is also one of the three provinces of Canada that has a border with a US state.
- The capital is Edmonton but the largest city is Calgary.
- There are spectacular tourist attraction sites in the province, like the Sylvan Lake.
Story By World By Shotglass
©2013 World By Shotglass. All Rights Reserved
Special thanks to our contributors:
Adebayo Ahmed Adebola (Ilorin, Nigeria).
Gallery of Shot Glasses